CAREER OPPORTUNITY - RESEARCH OFFICER
Thursday, June 24, 2021
Export Barbados (BIDC) is a solutions-oriented organization working to build bold, innovative, dynamic and creative enterprises. An agency of the Barbados Government, our mandate is to advise on, promote and facilitate the development of export trade; and to conduct and facilitate industrial development and the export of products and services.
We are seeking to recruit a dynamic individual to fill the position of Research Officer.
The successful candidate will report to the Senior Research Officer and will inter alia:
- Conduct an array of quantitative analyses, including statistical and econometric modelling in support of our policy priorities, collaborating with relevant stakeholders to develop research that speaks to their contexts.
- Conduct relevant cost-benefit and economic impact analysis.
- Collate and present data and information that would be useful in the administration and development of the Corporation's strategic programme.
- Develop appropriate economic methodologies and tools to collate, interpret and disseminate information relevant to Barbados’ trade, business and economic development.
- Execute a programme of research, aimed at identifying export markets, new investment and new export venture opportunities for Barbadian businesses.
- Conduct surveys of relevance to the work of the Corporation.
- Facilitate responses to client queries related to trade statistics and market intelligence.
- Present economic reasoning and analytical results to internal audiences (e.g., our leadership team) and external audiences (e.g., policy and industry partners).
- Assist in developing, implementing and maintaining systems for the acquisition, documentation, storage, retrieval and presentation of information regarding the Corporation's operations.
- Liaise with external organisations as necessary to facilitate the most efficient and effective performance of your duties.
- Prepare Research Papers including Market Research, Sector Profiles, and other trade-related documents as required.
- Contribute to the Corporation’s Strategic Planning process on the basis of an analysis and observation of regional and international economic and socio-political developments.
- Provide monthly report of activities undertaken during the reporting month.
- Assist in the preparation of speeches and other documents required for internal or external communications.
- Any other related duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Experience
The ideal candidate will possess:
- A University degree in Economics, Statistics or related field with an emphasis on Econometrics. Strong academic record is essential, having excelled at econometrics and statistical coursework.
- At least three (3) years of relevant (post first degree) experience conducting economic analysis and developing models using analytical methods.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office & analytical tools such as SPSS, Stata or EViews.
- Comprehensive knowledge of statistical and econometric methodologies.
- The ability to develop and maintain collaborative and productive research relationships with local, regional and international stakeholders.
- Clear verbal and written communication skills, including the ability to write technical and general audience documents, presentations and research papers.
- Excellent presentation skills.
- Able to work with minimal supervision.
- Possess excellent interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work accurately under time pressure.
- Candidates should also be knowledgeable of, and have keen interest in trade, global sustainable development, and global economic issues.
The post is pensionable and compensation will be in accordance with the Corporation's revised salary scale.
Applications accompanied by Curriculum Vitae should be submitted to the Manager, Human Resources at email@example.com no later than July 9, 2021.